Skip to content Skip to main navigation Skip to footer

Turf QLD Industry Alert |Restricted electrical work licence

Restricted electrical work licence

Restricted electrical work licences allow people to do electrical work incidental to a particular trade or calling. For example:

  • refrigeration and air conditioning technicians can do electrical work on refrigeration and air conditioning equipment
  • licensed plumbers are allowed to do certain electrical work on hot water systems
  • mechanical fitters can disconnect and reconnect electric motors to carry out mechanical repairs on an attached pump or compressor.

In all cases, restricted electrical work licence holders can only do electrical work within the endorsement, scope of work and National Restricted Electrical Licence units listed on the licence.

Section 57(1) of the Electrical Safety Act 2002 requires electrical work licence holders to comply with all conditions and restrictions included in the licence. If you have changed employers, or the type of work performed by your employer has changed, make sure the work you are performing is still permitted under your licence.

Restricted electrical work licences do not permit the performance of electrical installation work. Electrical installation work is defined in s19 of the Act and includes:

  • installing or altering wiring or fixed appliances in a building
  • installing or altering a switchboard.

This work can only be done by those with an electrical mechanic licence.

For example a refrigeration and air conditioning technician cannot install, replace or repair the isolator or installation wiring from the isolator to the air conditioning unit. They are also not permitted to install or replace “inter-connect” wiring on split systems air conditioners.

Information about limitations on restricted electrical licences is available on the Electrical Safety Office ‘our licence holder’ search facility. To carry out a licence search, or for more information about restricted electrical work licences, visit or call 1300 362 128.


There are no comments yet

Leave a Comment